General Combat Tips
- There are 14 different weapon types, split between 11 Blademaster weapons and 3 Gunner weapons. Each weapon type has a large variety of weapons. Some weapons (and weapon types) are more advantageous against certain monsters, and using a weapon with an advantageous match-up will make hunts easier.
- Weapons can be swapped [[in the town|facilities#ypehouse]] or in the camp. Swap weapons as needed to gain an advantage over monsters.
- Keep Blademaster weapons sharp to maximize their damage. Use Whetstones to [[maintain Sharpness|damage#sharpness-gauge-and-consumption]].
- When using a Gunner weapon, stay in [[critical distance|damage#critical-distance]] to maximize damage.
- Double check to make sure that appropriate items are in the inventory before going out on a hunt! For example, don't forget to bring Hot Drinks when hunting in very cold areas, or Cool Drinks when hunting in very hot areas.
- [[Equipping armor, charms, and Decorations Jewels|equipment]] provide the player with defense and elemental resistance, and various [[skills|skills]]. These skills can confer Attack bonuses, Defense bonuses, or just general utility.
- Having a set of active skills that negate some of a monster's behavior can be beneficial. For example, equipping a Poison resistance skill against a monster that can [[poison|status#detrimental-status-effect]] will make the hunt less stressful.
- Investing more skill points into the same skill will yield stronger effects.
Buffs and Debuffs
- The player can consume [[meals|meals]] at the camp or consume items mid-battle to [[strengthen themselves|status#beneficial-status-effect]].
- During combat, players may be afflicted with a detrimental ailment. Knowing [[how to cure these ailments|status#curing-detrimental-status-effect]] will reduce the risk of [[carting|quest#carting]].
- When [[stamina|status#stamina]] is depleted, the player will not be able to sprint, evade, or guard. Stamina recovers naturally.
- Train [[Scoutflies|scoutflies]] by collecting and analyzing tracks. Trained Scoutflies can be instructed to lead the player to the monster.
Engaging, Hunting, and Surviving Against Monsters
- Observe monsters to learn their behaviors and traits. Knowing how a monster attacks, moves, and reacts will reduce the riskiness of a hunt.
- Evade (
<<X>>) or reposition to safe spots to avoid monster hits.
- However, because the [[Evade Window (i-frames)|evade-defense#evade-window]] is short, it can be risky to depend on Evades to avoid damage.
- Some weapons come with a shield that enables [[Guarding to block attacks|evade-defense#guarding]]. Blocking a very powerful attack may cause the player to [[take chip damage|evade-defense#damage-and-stamina-consumption]]. Some attacks can only be guarded after the Guard Up skill is active.
- [[Carting|quest#carting]] reduces the quest's monetary reward. [[Quests automatically fail|quest#completing-and-failing-quest]] when the quest reward hits 0.
- A monster's body is divided into [[different parts called Hitzones|understanding-monster#monster-hitzone]]. Some Hitzones are weaker than others, and landing attacks on weaker Hitzones will deal more damage.
- Monster Hitzone weaknesses may change depending on the current condition of the monster.
- Inflict various [[status ailments|understanding-monster#status-ailments-on-monster]] to damage or immobilize monsters.
- Use [[traps|trapping#trap]] or [[environment hazards|environment-effects]] to immobilize monsters. However, take note that in certain circumstances, monsters may be immune to certain traps or status ailments.
- [[Mount the monster|understanding-monster#mounting-monster]] and topple them to open up a large window for attacks.
- Items can provide utility or damage, such as:
- Blinding monsters with the Flash Pod. Flash Pods only work if they are in a monster's line of sight.
- Dazing certain monsters with Scream Pods.
- Using barrel bombs on sleeping monsters.
- Using items to heal or remove detrimental status ailment.
- After dealing enough damage, the monster begins to limp and may return to its nest. A monster in this state can be [[captured|trapping#capture]] with a trap and tranquilizers. Alternatively, the player may opt to slay the monster in its nest while it is vulnerable.
Working with Teammates
- When hunting in a team, be careful and avoid friendly fire or tripping teammates. Accidentally flinching teammates can render them vulnerable to monster attacks.
- Immobilized teammates can be freed with an attack.
- Use wide range healing items to heal teammates if necessary.